Monday, January 12, 2009

She want that old thing back...



I was just thinking to myself...When was the last time I wanted a Dooney & Bourke bag? Middle School? High School maybe? Actually it was this past weekend when I peeped a District resident trolling the streets of Georgetown with one slung across her body.

Robin, 21 received this bag from her older sister who got it in college in the 1980s


It was a vintage Dooney & Bourke All Weather Leather Bag straight out of the '80s. The company became famous with these bags that debuted in 1983.

Founded in 1975 by Peter Dooney and Frederic Bourke in South Norwalk, Connecticut. The company started out making surcingle belts and suspenders in the equestrian tradition using bright colors. Eventually they expanded to making fashionable equestrian bags and tack cases. Continuing in the equestrian tradition, the young company had its breakthrough 8 years later with the All Weather Leather (AWL) Bag.

What made people LOVE these little treasures was pretty simple: they were ALL weather! The waterproof bag was made out of cowhide which causes water to practically shed off of them. They are also easy to clean with mild soap and water.

I guess all that soap and water has caused these babies to hold up over the past 20 something years. Enough time for fashionistas of the 80s to pass them down to the fashion forward pounding this city's pavement.

Check out the company's newest collection at http://www.dooney.com/

But if you ask me...They may see a crazy increase in revenue if they just bring that old thing back.


1 comment:

  1. I have two vintage dooney & bourke bags that I COVET with all my being. Both were great finds at thrift stores in the Bay Area, CA. great post!

    ReplyDelete